Monday, October 15, 2018

Social Justice

The Bible has a LOT to say about social justice - so much that it nearly overflowed two pages in my journal!  For many, the term 'social justice' has negative connotations, but there is no denying that the Bible commands us to seek justice.  Regardless of what you want to call it, we should be doing it!
(I believe that these verses are all from the New Living Translation.) 




  • "Learn to do good.  Seek justice.  Help the oppressed.  Defend the orphan.  Fight for the rights of widows."  (Isaiah 1:17)
  • "You are a God of justice!" (Isaiah 26:7)
  • "The kind of fasting I want calls you to free those who are wrongly imprisoned and to stop oppressing those who work for you.  Treat them fairly and give them what they earn.  I want you to share your food with the hungry and to welcome poor wanderers into your homes.  Give clothes to those who need them and do not hide from relatives who need your help."  (Isaiah 58:6-7)
  • "For I, the Lord, love justice."  (Isaiah 61:8)
  • "This is what the Lord says:  Be fair-minded and just.  Do what is right!  Help those who have been robbed; rescue them from their oppressors.  Quit your evil deeds!  Do not mistreat foreigners, orphans, and widows.  Stop murdering the innocent!"  (Jeremiah 22:3)
  • "He is the one who . . . gives justice to the oppressed and food to the hungry.  The Lord frees the prisoners.  The Lord opens the eyes of the blind.  The Lord lifts the burdens of those bent beneath their loads.  The Lord loves the righteous.  The Lord protects the foreigners among us.  He cares for the orphans and widows, but he frustrates the plans of the wicked."  (Psalm 146:6-9)
  • "Evil people don't understand justice, but those who follow the Lord understand completely."  (Proverbs 28:5)
  • "Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing.  But a curse will come upon those who close their eyes to poverty."  (Proverbs 28:27)
  • "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those who are perishing.  Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice."  (Proverbs 31:8-9)
  • "For I was hungry, and you fed me.  I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink.  I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home.  I was naked, and you gave me clothing.  I was sick, and you cared for me.  I was in prison, and you visited me."  (Matthew 25:35-36)
  • "Don't forget about those in prison.  Suffer with them as though you were there yourself.  Share the sorrow of those being mistreated as though you feel their pain with your own bodies."  (Hebrews 13:3)
  • "Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us."  (James 1:27)
  • "Remember - it is a sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it."  (James 4:17)
  • "But if anyone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need and refuses to help - how can God's love be in that person?"  (I John 3:17)

  How can these Biblical truths inspire you to pursue justice in your everyday life?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Library Lady Life!

As many of you know, I am a Library Lady and very proud of that fact! This blog has evolved several times over the years as I have g...