Sunday, July 5, 2020

Why I wear a mask

In this strange time of the Covid-19 pandemic, wearing masks to prevent the transmission of the virus has become controversial and politicized.  Those who do not wear masks accuse mask-wearers of living in fear, and those who wear masks accuse those who won't as being selfish and uncaring.

While much can be said (and probably has been said on social media) about masks, I want to just tell you why I DO wear a mask, even though it isn't the most comfortable or convenient thing in the world.

My entire perspective on this (and hopefully all other issues) comes from my identity as a Christian and how I feel I can best live out my faith and demonstrate love to others.


While I've made most of our masks, this one was purchased on Etsy from the shop MadeatHomeMasks -
you can also buy them at https://www.madeathomemasks.com/

The importance of knowledge


In many places in the Bible, but mainly in Proverbs, knowledge, wisdom, and understanding are praised, and foolishness and ignorance are condemned.  While there are many opinions about the effectiveness of wearing a mask to prevent virus transmission, the scientific and medical community, the source of knowledge in this area, have said that wearing masks can prevent the spread of Covid-19.  Now, I do not necessarily want this to be true - it would be much easier to just decide it doesn't matter and go about my business any way I want to (without the inconvenience of a mask) - but then I read this:
"A fool's way is right in his own eyes, but whoever listens to counsel is wise."  Proverbs 12:15
"A discerning mind seeks knowledge, but the mouth of fools feeds on foolishness." Proverbs 15:14
"The mind of the discerning acquires knowledge, and the ear of wise seeks it" Proverbs 18:15 

Love your neighbor as yourself


As far as I understand, wearing a mask does not protect ME against acquiring coronavirus.  My wearing a mask protects OTHERS - in the case that I may be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus.  Now as it would work best, everyone would wear a mask and everyone would be protected.  However, my wearing a mask is a tangible and visible way for me to love my neighbor.
"I give you a new command: Love one another.  Just as I have loved you, but you must also love one another.  By all this people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."  John 13:34-35
"We must not love with word or speech, but with truth and action." 1 John 3:18

What if I'm wrong?


What if I'm wrong and wearing masks doesn't do anything to protect others?  Well, if I'm going to be wrong, I want to err on the side of love every time.  Which is why I won't be unloving to those who refuse to wear masks.  Their convictions of how to love others isn't for me to judge.  I can only live out my own faith and demonstrate love in the best way I know how and in the way that I feel led to do.

So there you go, one more opinion you didn't ask for, but got anyway.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Library Lady Life!

As many of you know, I am a Library Lady and very proud of that fact! This blog has evolved several times over the years as I have g...