Saturday, August 25, 2018

3 ways to get an awesome second hand wardrobe!

Today is National Secondhand Wardrobe Day, and if you are working on actively fighting against fast fashion and want to be more conscious in your clothing choices, looking at second hand clothing is the most affordable way to do that!

I LOVE second hand clothes, so I thought I would share 3 tips for getting an awesome second hand wardrobe!


Thrift Stores

Find the thrift stores in your area. Some are better than others.  Shopping second-hand takes time, and I NEVER try to go thrift store shopping with my kids!  In our area, we have a "Last Chance" Goodwill, and items are $1.25 on Tuesdays, $ .75 on Wednesdays, and $ .50 on Thursdays!  That's my favorite place to go, and I always find great deals there!  You can also find consignment stores and find great things there, but the price tag for items at a consignment store are higher than at a thrift store, but you may not have to dig through as much to find something great, so it's a trade-off!

These are dresses that were purchased at the Last Chance Goodwill for less than $1 each!

Clothing Swaps

My friends know I love thrift store shopping and know that I love hand-me-down clothing, so I have several people who bring me clothes when they clean out their closet or accidentally shrink something in the dryer!  I've even had a coworker bring me clothes when her daughter cleaned out her closet!  If people aren't just bringing you clothes, consider planning a clothing swap with your friends or coworkers!  Everyone brings clothes that they don't wear anymore, and everyone gets to "shop" - for free!  Add some wine and snacks and you've also got a great girls' night!

These items were all given to me by coworkers!  

Online sources

 Even thought I get the majority of my second-hand clothes from one a thrift store or friends, that doesn't always help when I need a very specific item.  Thrift stores are hit or miss, and sometimes you just want the ease of online shopping.  Enter sites such as Poshmark or ThredUp!  Poshmark is an online consignment store where people sell their clothes to you (you can even set up your own "closet" and sell clothes) - if you are new to Poshmark, use the code COURTNEYRICOLE and get $10 off your first purchase!  ThredUp is an online thrift store.  (Get $10 off your first order at ThredUp using this link!)  Both sites allow you to search for specific items and save your size preferences so you only see clothing that is in your size!


So, those are my 3 sure-fire ways to get great second-hand clothes - You get to give clothes a new life and inject some unique pieces into your wardrobe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Library Lady Life!

As many of you know, I am a Library Lady and very proud of that fact! This blog has evolved several times over the years as I have g...