Monday, February 11, 2013

Three little fears

From my project: 25 Things I want my Kid(s) to know about me -- 
Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.

  1. Cockroaches - I hate them.  I even hate looking at the word typed.  I'm not sure how the fear started necessarily, but it has definitely INCREASED as I've gotten older.  
  2. Birds - This sounds silly, I know, but birds are so yucky to me.  I always am afraid they want to peck my eyes out.  Amazingly, I've never seen Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds!  I believe I was chased by a goose when I was a child (so I've been told), but I don't remember that.  As an adult, I once had a paper route, and at 5 in the morning I put a newspaper in a box and out flew a little bitty finch.  Straight into my neck.  It crapped all over my shirt and then flew around my car.  I got out of the car, opened all the doors, and freaked out in the middle of the street until it finally found its way out of my car.  I'm not really sure if that was where the fear started or just what solidified it, but regardless, in my opinion birds are the cockroaches of the sky.
  3. Failure - this one isn't as concrete, but it is probably my biggest fear. I'm not exactly sure when or how it started, but most certainly it is tied to my perfectionist and over-achieving nature.  In college, when faced with the same class taught by two different professors, I chose the one in which I thought I was more likely to get an A.  I typically don't embark on an endeavor which brings with it the risk of failure.  I also HATE being wrong - to me it is a form of failure.  A quote I saw this week that I am trying to live by is this:  "Confidence comes not from always being right but not fearing to be wrong."   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Library Lady Life!

As many of you know, I am a Library Lady and very proud of that fact! This blog has evolved several times over the years as I have g...